Sunday, September 28, 2014

Work Life Changes

I've take n a leap of faith and accepted a position that is only officially a 0.6 FTE (going down from 0.8 FTE). The job had been posted before and I was interested but just couldn't bring myself to apply for a 0.6 position. This time, however, I responded to an email about the position where it suggested the position might increase to full time so I took a risk and emailed to find out more about the programs. Long story, short - I am now working in this new role. It's an exciting role that looks like it will include a more grassroots approach than inpatient psychiatry. I also have a lot of autonomy to make the role fit for the clients and the organization as a whole. Who knows, with time, maybe there will be an occupational therapy team rather than just me! But that would be  a long ways off. The good news around the FTE aspect, it looks like my hours will increase (albeit not an official increase in the position hours itself). There is lots to learn, but I also believe I have lots to bring to the table as well. I have started to make connections and build rapport with some of the clients which will be a very important component to successful interventions. This population is very marginalized. The ones I'll be working with primarily also have low life skills or lower functioning. It's an exciting time for me career-wise!

No comments: