Saturday, July 12, 2014

Adventure Camp 2014

I had an amazing opportunity to say 'yes' to this past week. I saw a post on facebook about the camp a few weeks ago and inquired about their need for volunteers and that got things in motion. I went with Centre Street Church on the Adventure Camp for their special needs (I believe the program is called Umbrella) ministry. I went along as a volunteer. It was a neat experience. It's been a long time, if ever, that I went somewhere or participated in something where it seemed my gifts, life experience, and knowledge were truly appreciated and desired. Nobody stared at me because of the way I walk. I felt truly accepted. I was paired with a buddy (camper) who was easy going, liked to laugh, and had to take it slow sometimes (which is fine by me). I also had a roommate that I spent time with and kept an eye on in some aspects. It was neat that I found myself using my OT skills (that's occupational therapy for those who don't know) in working with some others that I wasn't specifically paired with. I loved seeing how I was able to engage some of the campers in activities to help distract them and to help make the camp meaningful for them. I also didn't mind having conversations with some where other campers were getting frustrated. I found myself coming up with ideas on the fly to get people engaged and distracted from what was getting them agitated. I even started a 'morning stretch' routine (because there were delays in getting the food ready) that got even those who didn't normally get involved coming up with a movement or stretch. My heart swelled seeing nearly every camper and volunteer get involved - although the volunteers and staff might have anyway to encourage participation.  :)  It was also neat to see the simple, yet powerful, way each of the campers expressed their appreciation for God, nature, and each other. It was neat seeing the campers taking risks by doing activities they might not ever have tried before.

My week wasn't without frustrations - I struggle with seeing people who have the capacity and ability to do stuff and not try when I so often try to do whatever I can and I have obvious physical mobility issues as well as a condition that could make or break me in a less safe activity. And realistically, there may well be some good reasons for not trying for these people but sometimes it felt like excuses and all I wanted to say was "Take a leap of faith. Risk it. Get over it. You'll be ok. You'll have fun." Ah, but I need to have grace and I need to see things from their perpsectives. I, of all people, get that new and "risky" activities are scary when it comes to potential broken bones so I'm sure others have their reasons and their legitimate fears.

I also struggled with, and nearly backed out of, going white water rafting because the walk from the bus to the river was long, I was tired and thirsty, it was hard walking with the booties we were given (and they were too big for me), and I knew that I had had surgery just six weeks ago and really hoped my body would hold up. I had been white water rafting before, and that time, our boat nearly flipped and we paddled the whole way, even through the big rapids (class 3's and 4's). I didn't know what came over me, but I nearly started crying. That was odd. I was struck by an intense wave of emotion. I'm glad I went white water rafting, though.  This time, it was easy. For the "big" rapids (which were WAY smaller than the previous trip) , we didn't paddle through rapids but were told to hang on. We didn't have to paddle the whole time either like the last time I went (on a different river). The rapids were tame compared to the last trip too. The pictures look like it was crazy. But it was crazy fun! :)

Another good thing from the trip - maybe I will have made some new friends that can be part of my friends circle going forward.  I felt like I connected well with several people at the camp.

Maybe this kind of ministry, or even this kind of work - working with individuals with more of a developmental delay than specifically mental illness - is a direction I should consider. It brings joy to my heart to see the innocence of some of the individuals and the balance of trying to learn life skills and apply them in the capacity each one is able to, and the challenges of connecting with those who struggle to be around others also was rewarding. It was so awesome to see pure joy in the faces of the campers when they experienced nature or tried something new and did it successfully. On the last day, one of the individuals who tended to stay several metres from others when possible, actually spoke to me. It was like a little gift. Those moments are so rewarding.

Click on the pictures below for a bigger view!







The Elkwood Ampitheatre








View from the lodge through the window









Just a note, I can't post pictures of individuals here (except for the rafting pics which are were all taken by Chinook Rafting - with permission to share on social media), so the pictures posted are mostly of the views and nature. All pictures other than the rafting pictures were taken by me.

No comments: