Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Good piece of news

So, last week, I had a bit of a potential medical scare. I had gotten some routine bloodwork done and the day after I got it done, I had a message to call the doctor's office because the doctor wanted to see me as soon as possible to discuss the results. That's never a good message.  I was scared, so I didn't call back until today.  When I called, I got an appointment within an hour, which increased my fear somewhat. Although, in the meantime, I did some research and looked up all the things that were checked off on the requisition - yes, I'm a geek and wrote it all down beforehand with the intent to research each one.  So, after doing the research, I wasn't as concerned. I figured that whatever it might be would probably be something that could be treated.  Anyway, I went to see the doctor and there was a slightly - and she emphasized slightly - elevated level for one of the things but she wasn't worried. She figured that number could fluctuate a bit with diet and she didn't see it as being a problem particularly as it was only one out of a number and with the one that it was, I'm guessing (based on my research) that several of them would have been off if there was a problem.  Anyway, she just let me know because it was her responsibility to tell me, even though it was only a slight difference in number. For me, this reassures me this new doctor is thorough.  She also went over the bone density results. Considering I went off the medication for my bones for close to a year, I was certain that number would have gotten worse, but the results were very positive! And I quote,  there was a "significant increase in bone density in the lumbar region"! I've done some things in my life that may have contributed to that increase, namely I started working out in a gym and doing some resistance type of exercises. This report has encouraged me to keep up with the exercise and try to increase the amount I do in a week.  Maybe one more day in a week. I always feel good after a workout. I guess it's often a time factor.  But, if it's making a difference in my health overall .... I should really prioritize this.

No comments: