Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Eerie Movie

Last night I watched 'The Lazarus Project'.  It's a psychothriller about a guy who commits a crime and is sentenced to a lethal injection. Instead of dying, he finds himself in an eerie psychiatric hospital. The movie, in itself, isn't really that scary. I found it eerie because it felt like I'd been to many of the places in the movie, like I knew the area. It's also a little eerie because you don't know exactly what is real and what isn't. The story line is interesting. It comes to a point where he doesn't know whether he's hallucinating everything or whether parts are real and parts are the hallucination. Or whether someone is setting it up to seem like a hallucination. He begins to wonder whether there is a sinister plot against him. At the end of the movie, I saw the credits and realized it was filmed in familiar territory. I recognized landmarks. I also recognized the jail (not from being on the inside - I'll make that clear right now). The psychiatric hospital, although it wasn't the one I did a placement in, had a similar set up and design, even inside. Considering it was a provincially run psychiatric hospital, it doesn't surprise me that the buildings looked so similar. They may well have been built around the same time and possibly had the same architect designing it. It struck me that many psychiatric facilities have really beautiful grounds. This movie also depicted a beautiful landscape for the facility. All in all, it was a good movie. The eeriness I experienced maybe added to it in a good way and helped me connect better with the main character.

No comments: