Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Update

For those of you who don't know, I started working at the PLC this week here in Calgary. I'm working casual hours, but equivalent to a 0.8 FTE on two of the in-patient mental health units. So far, so good. I have the option to apply for a full time position that has come up. If I don't, then most likely I will lose many hours as that full time position is actually for the casual hours I am working now. I guess my struggle is that I've worked pretty hard to get a small business up and going. If I take the full time, then what happens to that? Will there be opportunities when I get back to that? Will I get back to that? Also, will I still be able to do some teaching in the future? Lots of questions that I have to think about seriously. If I don't go for the full time position, I will still be a casual employee. There's nothing wrong with that. The only thing is I won't have a steady income. Right now some of my other works is very slow in coming. Maybe this is the plan for me. And when the time is right to pick up in my business, that will happen too. Or, maybe, while I am working at the hospital, I can do some work on the side to build it up for when the full time position ends - it is only a mat leave position. I'm happy I'm in. I also enjoy the work and it seems like the team is really good. It looks like there will be opportunities to mentor as well as to learn from others. I can see myself enjoying having some consistency in my life for a while - not only with the paycheque, but also in having a routine. I think it will be good to develop and hone my skills in this environment. I will miss the flexibility of working from home on a regular basis and choosing my own schedule. I will miss not being able to do some things I enjoy during the day. Those perks come from working from home. At the same time, working from home is not generating enough income to support myself at the moment.

No comments: