Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

I came across a web site that provides a Spiritual Gifts assessment. I completed it a few weeks ago - didn't believe the results. Did it again today being very careful in how I answered and came up with pretty much the same thing. After looking up the definitions, I realize maybe it's not so off. Or, at least, that's what I think. Feel free to state your opinion.

My top 3 were one point from each other:
1. Hospitality
2. Discernment
3. Mercy

The next 2 were
4. Wisdom
5. Faith

The definitions provided from the web site are:

Hospitality:
"The special ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to provide an open house and a warm welcome to those in need of food and lodging."
This gift is a practical gift. Those with this gift have an acute awareness of visitors and have a desire to make all people feel welcome. People with this gift enjoy visitors in their home, and are usually not bothered if someone stops by and their home is not spotless.

Discerning of Spirits:
"The special ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to know with assurance whether certain behavior purported to be of God is in reality divine, human, or Satanic."
This gift is a practical gift. Christians with this gift can recognize the true motives of people and also recognize when a person is distorting the truth or communicating error. This person often can recognize when Satan or other evil spirits are at work in a given person or situation.

Mercy:
"The special ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to feel genuine empathy and compassion for individuals (both Christian and non-Christian) who suffer from distressing physical, mental, or emotional problems, and to translate that compassion into cheerfully done deeds which reflect Christ’s love and alleviate the suffering."
This gift is a practical gift. Those with this gift find themselves visiting and assisting those in need, and often feel the pain of the person they are helping within themself. People with this gift find it extremely difficult not to help those who seem less fortunate than themself. Those with this gift generally enjoy helping those with physical or mental problems and do well in ministries involving visiting hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, and shut-ins.

I guess, in looking at these spiritual gifts, I need them all to be able to do the job I do - to work in the ministry I do. Even Wisdom and Faith are needed.

Check out the gifts assessment and let me know what you find for yourself. Or give me feedback on these results. I know there is always the possiblity we answer in ways we think we are, even if we aren't. Although, there were many times during the assessment I thought "I'd really like to be able to say I'm like ...." or "I probably should be more like ..." where I scored myself really low. So, who knows.

3 comments:

Nanda said...

I would have finished it if I had time to do 100+ questions. Besides, most of the questions seem to be geared toward involvement to church leadership (can't remember the last time I contributed to founding a new church...). Your second gift is pretty interesting, though. I would imagine North American culture is less receptive toward the idea of spirit world than the Asian society.

patti said...

Haha. Yeah, it took me 2-3 attempts to actually get through it. Lots of questions. It is true a lot of them are related, specifically to church. I'm not that involved in my own church, so I thought more about my work or just the way I am. Maybe that's why some of the other 'gifts' are not high for me as well.

I'd have to agree with you on the culture comment. In fact, that's also a reason I re-took the quiz when I actually completed it once before. That was in my top 3 - maybe my top one before. I thought - no way. But when I read the description, I guess it might be true.

I can generally tell motives behind people's actions. There was a point at work once when I felt this huge oppressive feeling. It felt like a black cloud. A lot of changes happened since then and things are much better. I don't sense that 'cloud' anymore. And, there have been other situations I can think of too.

Nanda said...

Your post made me do an entry about it LOL. I'll happily blame you.