Saturday, June 16, 2012

Quiet Leader

Today, as I was spending quiet time with God, I came to a realization. I am a quiet leader. I'm rarely ever the 'leader', and I'm ok with that. I don't really like the attention of being 'the leader'. Yet, somehow, it seems people often come to me for guidance or to get things done. For example, at work, I'm not the boss. I do know that I influence the boss a lot. I have a good relationship with her. The team knows that. Frequently, team members come to me to talk about what's going on - to see if I know what really is going on, or to see whether I'd have some influence to change things. In other areas of my life, too, I see people come to me in a quasi leader role - as someone they see having wisdom. Often people want me to tell them what to do. I generally ask questions instead, to get them thinking about what they want to do, or why they might want to do something. I'm sure this is frustrating. Yet, they still come back. :) Today, I was thinking about my roles in life. I realized there is a responsibility in being the 'quiet leader'. You see, because I'm not the person who officially has any influence, but I still seem to have influence, there almost seems to be more power there because it's hidden. The responsibility of this hit me today. I realized that my attitude at work and elsewhere significantly impacts the environment. This is not a new revelation - I knew before that my attitude and actions impact the environment, but I reflected on this week where I had a bad attitude about some things, and realized that I noticed some things change negatively. Then, the next day, I chose to change how I responded to the very same thing that gave me a bad attitude the day before, and the environment changed for the day. I have the power to choose to be positive. I also need wisdom in knowing what to say and how to respond when negative things happen at work.  I know it's not all me... believe me. I know everyone contributes positively and negatively. I also believe God can use me. He has the power to change things for the better. I need wisdom to pick my battles wherever I am. I need wisdom to know how to effectively fight for what I should fight for - to advocate for what needs to be advocated for. And grace to do so with respect, authority, and love. I also need wisdom and grace to let things roll off me when it's not something I should let bother me and when the fight is not worth it. I need wisdom to know what to do to facilitate a positive environment around me in general and how to help facilitate positive relationships around me. I need to make sure that I am following God's lead - that I am abiding in him to discern how to respond appropriately in all areas of my life and what I can realistically be involved in. I need to discern what is better left for someone else to do and what I should do. And then be at peace with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard an interview with the author of "Quiet - the Power of Introverts" by Susan Cain. Provocative ideas. Here's a link: http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/2012/03/03/my-ted-talk/

- Brenda

patti said...

Thanks Brenda, I'll check it out.