Friday, April 09, 2010

Laughing with Me

Last night, we had a freak storm.  It was a beautiful sunny morning with degrees in the double digits.  Then, a storm blew in that knocked the power out and covered the once-brown ground in a white layer.  I lit most of my candles and read by candlelight.  But, the reading didn't last long.  For those who know me, I love playing with candles and watching candle light flicker.  And, I love playing with my camera.  So, naturally, what else would I do? :D

I must have spent a good hour taking pictures, including trying to get self portraits in a mirror without the camera showing and using the candlelight to light my face, to taking up close pictures of the candles, the wax, the flames.  In all, I took 216 pictures.  I'm laughing, just thinking about it.

During my quiet time with God, I did some listening prayer.  I asked God when the last time he laughed with me was.  Instantly, I had a clear image of me sitting there in front of the mirror, laughing at how much fun I was having.  And I pictured Jesus right there with me, laughing with me.  I did, in fact, do this.  Laughing at myself out of pure fun.  Oddly, I was sitting in the bathroom on a closed toilet seat in front of the large mirror with the candles in front of me.  The most unlikely place to have fun, really.  I certainly wouldn't plan that. And, I knew God was right there, laughing with me that I could amuse myself so.


At a time when it's easy to worry about where I'll live or where my income will come from, it's nice to have moments like this.  At a time when there is so much uncertainty in my life.  An hour or so, where I'm not thinking about anything other than having fun and being in the moment.  Doing something I enjoy. Enjoying fire. Enjoying photography.

Join me in enjoying candlelight!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I wish there was a "Like" button on your blog because I would have "Liked" this post.:)

patti said...

Haha. Thanks Julie! :D