Tuesday, December 09, 2008

What a messed up healthcare system!

Let me vent for a few moments ....

Today, I spent about 6.5 hours in the Emergency Room with one of my clients for the purpose of getting her admitted. But, no, would they admit her? Basically, it came down to ... is it life or death. Since it wasn't death yet, no admittance. It doesn't matter that she wasn't eating for the past while, that she wasn't taking her meds, that she's depressed, that she hasn't been taking her meds, that she needs stabilization. No ... instead, I was made to look a fool for even bringing her in. Oh, sure, the concerns were noted. But that's it. Oh, yeah, and at one point, we were told it would be about an hour. After that hour, I went to check ... apparently, the wait time was now increased to 12 hours. Yes, you read correctly ... 12 hours! I ended up pretty much pleading to somehow get us in quicker. I think it helped some. At least to see the doctor.

I guess it doesn't help that there weren't any beds in the entire hospital. Or that there was a red alert for ambulances .... none available. Or that there were piles of EMT's in the ER waiting for their patients to be admitted. Seriously, I've never seen so many EMT's in my life in one place. It's a pretty sad use of resources if all the EMT's have to wait around in the hospitals. What a system, is all I can say! There must be a better way. Even, hospitals getting staff to be with the patients who aren't admitted yet.

No comments: