Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Today was a good day!

The day started off relatively normally, although I was looking forward to the meeting downtown later in the morning. I chose to catch the train to the meeting because the train is close to work and the end stop was close to the destination. I just missed the first train, so I ended up being a little late, but that seemed to be ok. The meeting was for the opening celebration of an OT program in Calgary based out of the U of A. I'm excited about potential prospects coming from this program - like maybe doing some teaching for U of A. The celebration was good, and the discussions following were good too. It was interesting to me that I seemed to know everyone in the room except for the 12 new students in the program. What was more strange for me is how so many actually sought me out to talk to me. That doesn't usually happen. I was informally offered a teaching position by one person, and by the same person, was told I am an "animated speaker" that they need as an instructor. Another person said they've been watching, aware of where I'm at, and also mentioned the possibility of teaching for them. These people who made the comments are the ones who actually interviewed me a few years ago when I was trying to get a faculty position. It sounds like I made an impression. I am excited about these possibilities, although nothing is set in stone and I can't go by anything at this time. I will definitely have to look at my work situation in that case. I saw a posting today that really sparked my interest and is only a 0.6 FTE. If they officially offered me something, I'd consider applying for this. But I also am not looking for other employment. Ever since I was in OT school, I thought I'd like a healthy split between clinical and teaching - like 60 / 40. The travels home on the train were semi-eventful. The first train, the accessible ramp did not lower and the height difference was about the height of a curb. I can't exactly jump that, then slow down quickly to not hit anyone inside the train. So I had to wait for the next one. I later reflected and wondered if I actually checked if the train was the correct one. Downtown, there are 2 options, and believe me, taking the wrong one would have gotten me quite far from my destination! I also really enjoyed being downtown on my scooter in summer! I miss that. It's like old times. I returned to work after the celebration. It was neither here nor there. I was pleased, though, when I checked my pay stub, to find I've now been moved up to the next salary level. :) Yup, a good day all around!

No comments: