Friday, March 11, 2011

Learning How to Be Alone - an important spiritual discipline




It's so important to learn how to be alone and to appreciate silence. I like the underlying message of this video - that there are many ways to practise being alone. To enjoy it. That being alone can be acceptable. For me, I started enjoying being alone in Australia. At least, that's where I first remember enjoying being alone. I enjoyed exploring a new city, going to a new coffee shop, going along on my scooter at a walking pace instead of the hurried frenzy of driving through traffic in a car, and just being. Enjoying that here and now. Enjoying those moments by myself and the adventure of seeing things as if for the first time (although some of it definitely was the first time). Whether that was amongst other people or truly by myself, I was still alone. Not in the lonely sense of alone. I learned to enjoy being alone.

I learned how to appreciate the little things in life. I learned how to be there, in that moment, in conversations, and ended up enjoying conversations and that curiosity that comes with really wanting to hear what the other has to say. I learned how to notice the little things in life. How to take life's pace down to a walk instead of race. I learned to enjoy sipping coffee or tea or trying a new food, just for the enjoyment of the flavour and the experience. I learned how to observe. I relearned how to play for the sheer enjoyment of it by playing with a huge bubble wand in a marketplace, surrounded by people yet it was as though I was all alone experiencing joy. My time in Australia was one of huge spiritual growth. Why? Because I learned how to be alone and enjoy it.

And now, I enjoy sitting outside at night, just watching the stars. Or going out for a walk with my scooter. Or sitting in my car, sometimes even with no music and being left to my own thoughts or observations. I enjoy sitting in a coffee shop on a Saturday afternoon, possibly reading the paper or a book. I enjoy just observing what's going on around me. Taking it all in, but not focusing on anything in particular. I enjoy listening to music at home. I enjoy reading and journaling. I enjoy making music. I enjoy going to a park. I enjoy going for a drive. I enjoy being with other people, engaging in conversations and really being there.

Being alone allows me to worship and spend time with God. It allows me to worship by enjoying nature around me. Or enjoying the little things in life, perhaps by capturing it through a lens. Again - being present in that moment to whatever is going on.

As a side shoot - maybe even my work allows me to worship. I have to live in the moment for my work. There's no way I could facilitate some of the groups I do without really, truly being present. Not distracted by other thoughts. Just being there. Maybe that's part of worship - to really be present. And through that - when in conversation or dialogue, or even in listening to dialogue, appreciating it for what it is and injecting comments here and there as appropriate to facilitate that dialogue.

So then, what is worship? A friend once described it as a way of life. Maybe it's more about being worshipful. A state of being. Many of us think singing is worship - and that alone is worship. I disagree, although it can definitely be part of being worshipful. To me, it really is about a way of life. Being there in that moment with my whole self. Connecting with people. With God. Being ok with being alone, because it allows me to really be present. Sometimes to feel - even the not-so-good feelings. Or to take note of those little things in life that easily go unnoticed and thanking the Creator. To me, making music is part of worship. Reading is part of worship - not only writings such as the Bible or theological books, but also other things that make me think and reflect on my own life and lead to personal evaluation. Or reading funny things because laughter is a gift. Or writing an article or an essay. Using the gifts we are blessed with. For me, being in nature is also a very important way I connect with God. Each of these can be a way to connect with God. To me, worship, or rather, being worshipful, is engaging with life, being in the moment, living an attitude of praise and thanksgiving, and connecting with God with my whole self.

Bringing it back to 'being alone', maybe we should make a practice of taking time to be alone. We can worship when we are with other people or when we are in a church setting. We can also worship wherever we are. I think that without learning how to be alone, we miss out on a very powerful way of worshiping - of connecting with God in a way that is so personalized.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Intriguing thoughts Patti, I would almost term alone (healthy ways) as a sacrament of preparation, sacrament being the outward expression of the mystery of our God. Anywho, I would say this prepares us for true worship which you alluded to as the ministry God has ordained you to.
Thank you for sharing.
Shalom
ty