Sunday, January 23, 2011

Puzzle Pieces

I was doing some reflection over the past couple days about things that excite me, and trying to figure out what my gifts are (as in personal and spiritual gifts, not the material kinds of gifts). Another way to put it is strengths or personal attributes. This was in follow up to a conversation with the youth pastor who asked me if I feel my gifts are being fully utilized in helping out with the youth group. The question prompted me to think about what excites me, what my strengths are, and what areas I want to grow in. My response at the time was, "I don't know what my gifts are and if you have any feedback or observations, please let me know".

I've done many 'spiritual gifts' tests before. Discernment comes out on top every time. Shepherd and Mercy come out near the top most times too. Encouragement is usually in the top 5 as is Teaching. Although one that separated teaching into different categories put me more in a facilitation type of teaching category than preaching (thankfully - as I don't think I'm much of a preacher). This list doesn't include talents and skills.

In thinking, I realized a few things that I enjoy about helping out with the youth. I enjoy getting to know the kids. I enjoy it when I see them starting to trust me and talking about stuff in their lives. I enjoy it when I've shared something and it seems to resonate with them. I enjoy connecting with those who seem to be on the outside, not really fitting in with the popular crowd. And I enjoy the laughter and laid back atmosphere. Is this using my skills to their potential? Well, maybe a set of skills - relating to people and having the ability to help people feel comfortable around me. I will say, though, it seemed to take a really long time before the girls seemed to feel comfortable. The guys seemed comfortable right away. I don't know the reasoning behind that. Even now, I think it depends on the different kids. Some seem more open to connecting with others, or rather, with adults. And I'm ok with that. I also enjoy connecting over things that we have in common ... like watching Bones. :)

So what about other strengths, abilities, and personal traits? I can facilitate small groups and maybe larger groups. I seem to enjoy doing this more with youth and adults than young kids. Kids are fun, don't get me wrong. I just like to have intelligent conversations with people. I haven't done a lot of facilitating large groups to know whether that is a strength. I don't tend to lean towards outright teaching - I prefer more the facilitation approach where people need to explore what they think and believe and apply it to situations in real-life. Yet, I wonder if in some ways, that takes more planning because things can really go one way or the other. And you have to go with the flow but have the ability to redirect if it really goes off topic. I can teach or lecture using a PowerPoint, but still, I tend to make that more small group discussions and overseeing that. I know I don't like doing a lot of the little details work. Leave that to other people, I figure. :) I don't mind delegating those tasks and I'm quite good at that. Considering all the moves I've made (house to house), I'd better be good at coordinating and delegating as I can't actually do the lifting and moving of furniture and boxes. I like being creative, whether that's doing photography, making music, painting, or even colouring. I also have the ability to discern when things seem to be going well or not and when people seem to be struggling more than other times. I have learned about behaviour issues and how to deal with different things with my professional training. I also have a good foundation in mental health issues to be able to listen, provide some direction and counselling and suggest some good resources. Within the youth group scenario, I'm more likely to make sure they are safe and bring in other resources if serious situations arise. Otherwise, hmm ... if any of you have ideas of other skills or abilities or strengths that fit with working with the youth, please let me know. There may be more but at the moment, I can't think of others.

Something else I've realized lately that I really enjoy - connecting with people from different cultures. Last night, I spent the evening with a couple friends - an relatively new friend and a brand new friend - from Latin American countries. We had a lot of fun playing Rook, eating pizza, listening to Latin music, and just hanging out. They asked some questions about correct grammar and we talked about how to use different words in different situations. A friend from Winnipeg who came to Canada several years ago from Peru has been strongly suggesting the relatively new friend connect with me to practise English. This friend suggested I should be on her speed dial in case she has questions about business language or other English language usage. See, that's what I've been helping my Peruvian friend with for a few years after she became fluent in English. I edited a lot of her university papers including her thesis. So the friend here invited another friend. These friends would like to get together with me regularly - to practise English one time, and teach me Spanish the next, developing a cycle. We had a lot of fun together and I realized, I really enjoy getting to know about other cultures, helping them with their English, and learning their language as well. It's something I'm good at. It's also something that is fun and something where I can make good connections and introduce people to Canadian life, meanwhile acknowledging their culture.

I got a call today from a nursing student who found my business website. She wanted my take on a situation and wanted to learn about the Occupational Therapy perspective on working with people who are homeless. She also wanted to know what a medical team can do to help people who are homeless. We had a good, long conversation. I left that conversation feeling excited - about having the ability to teach and share my knowledge and experience, about strongly encouraging getting to know the patient's desires and advocating for the patient, and about the fact people are starting to learn about me outside my current professional network. Teaching, particularly mentoring or small group teaching, or teaching about topics I'm passionate about does excite me.

So, I need to evaluate some things. I'm involved in a lot outside work and I need to find balance. I also need to figure out what I'm called to do. I love connecting with people and, if possible, somehow influencing them in a positive way to make positive changes in their lives. I do like teaching - where I see people hungry for information and wanting to learn about things that matter. I loved teaching the mental health course at SAIT. I love music - playing, facilitating the process of playing music, and listening to music. I think respect is so important in all these situations - a mutual respect. Building connections and having mutual respect is where I flourish.

I also need to take care of myself and know what I can take on and still be healthy. I need to make sure I am taking care of my physical body as well - getting the right nutrients, exercising, resting and sleeping. I did not do well with this piece in the past and it's important to stay healthy. I also want to (and need to) make sure I'm still building into the relationships I have right now and ones that develop.

This next part of my journey will be trying to make sense of things. Getting the puzzle pieces to fit and possibly setting aside puzzle pieces that don't fit. It may involve setting aside some puzzle pieces for now, and fitting them in later when the picture is more clear.Or making them all fit and still making a beautiful picture. It will be a challenge. Prioritizing and seeking God's direction will be key. This is a puzzle I look forward to piecing together.

*If you do have any feedback on where you see gifts or strengths - whether that's affirming what I've already seen or whether it's something I haven't, please feel free to comment. Also, if you have any other comments, feel free to leave them. Thanks.

No comments: