Sunday, December 26, 2010

Do you miss ...?

I had a conversation with someone tonight and was asked, "when you're in Calgary, do you miss Winnipeg? And when you're in Winnipeg, do you miss Calgary?" Hmm ... I don't know how to answer that question. I think my response was that I miss people, not either place so much. I have more people in Manitoba that draw me here, but I do have good relationships in Calgary. I also feel my work is not done in Calgary and Calgary is where I am to be for the time being and the next foreseeable future. I guess that didn't exactly answer the question. Do I miss Calgary when I'm in Manitoba? ... I certainly miss having the flexibility of getting around independently (using my car]. This trip I haven't really missed anyone yet. Or anything yet. I do know I'm only here for a short while, though. I do believe I will miss my place in a few days once the busyness subsides. If it does. It will be nice to get back into a routine. Or, rather, to get INTO a routine. But, this time around, it's been quite a while since I came out here to MB to see my family and friends and I'm not quite ready yet to go back. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my new job. Maybe that's the thing - a lot of my worries are lifting and I don't feel that rush to get back and try to find something. That sense that I NEED to be doing something. That sense I've felt for such a long time. It's kind of nice to just be able to relax, hang out, and not worry about whether I'll have yet another long while without steady income. Sure, I don't know anything for sure. I do know that I have work at the end of this week and that I'll have work for the next little while. I have a wee sense of security that is not causing me to feel like I NEED to be working hard at getting income every moment. So, no, I don't miss that. Then again, that's neither here nor there when it comes to Winnipeg or Calgary. Otherwise, I guess, I don't really think about it. I think about people in both places when I'm not there. I suppose this just emphasizes relationships are important to me - what I miss is spending time with people. I miss that even when I'm in whatever city the person is in if we haven't seen each other in a while.

And missing Winnipeg and area? Other than the people in my life, maybe the slower way of life in general and the more laid back attitude. I do hate the corporate feeling in Calgary where everyone seems to feel pressured to earn more money no matter what. I also miss getting home cooked meals on a regular basis cooked by someone other than me (although, thanks to one of friends, I've been treated to some homestyle cooking recently at home). I miss the summers, even though they are infested with mozzies. I miss the lakes.

On the flip side, though, I'd miss the mountains if I lived here again. And, I have no idea where I'd find an awesome samba drumming troup! Drumming has become part of my life in Calgary. That, and playing music. I'd have to start all over again with a professional network if I moved back to MB. That would suck too.

So, back to the question - yes, in a way, for both.

No comments: