Saturday, December 04, 2010

Baseball in the Snow, Time Travel, and Roasting Mini Marshmallows over a Candle

Today, as I headed to my car to go meet up with a friend, I took a few minutes to just enjoy what I saw. The first thing I noticed as I stepped outside and looked across the road to the schoolyard was a guy running around what appeared to be some bases and then sliding in the snow, making an awesome powder splash. I don't know what else to call it. But it was cool. These people looked like they were having so much fun playing baseball in the snow. The ball was bright orange instead of white. It didn't seem to be a league game, but they did seem to be die-hard baseball fans with friendly camaraderie and bantering. I thought it would be so much fun to play baseball in the snow, run around the bases, and do a cool slide onto the base to avoid getting tagged out. I tried, for several minutes, to get a good shot of someone sliding, but I didn't catch one. Oh well. I still enjoyed watching these people have fun! I also enjoyed the feeling of sitting in enjoyment, just watching the action.

Later, I met up with a friend and we went to the Science museum. I learned a lot about Albert Einstein. I had no idea he was such a pacifist! He hates the idea that he is connected with creating atomic energy and the atomic bomb. He came up with a theory that has been used for that, and he ended up on some councils regarding the use of atomic energy. He also cried, 'Woe is me' when he learned of the Hiroshima bombing in Japan, as he was the one who informed the US that they should consider looking at developing an atomic bomb because Germany seemed to be developing knowledge in the area at a rapid rate and had the potential to cause great damage. His ideas on time relativity really got me thinking about the concept that our frame of reference of time could be totally different than someone, say, in space. The ideas also lead to the whole concept of time travel. I need to think more about this concept. The theories seemed to be understandable, but the concept itself still seems hard to wrap my head around.

In the evening, a couple friends (including the friend I went to the museum with) came over to my place. We picked up some awesome food at The Main Dish in Bridgeland. After our main course, we had a chocolate fondue with strawberries, mini marshmallows, graham crackers, grapes, mini oranges, cashew nuts, etc. We attempted to roast marshmallows and make smores, but the roasting was not very successful. We started mini fires instead.  Which was fun in its own way. Dipping the marshmallows in the chocolate was still good. We had great food and enjoyed connecting through conversation. We realized that we have actually known each other for about 7 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DC Comics Starman series by James Robinson touched on the idea of how scientists view the use of their life work, especially those used for weaponry when that had not been the intent. They did this through the character of Ted Knight who wound up doing a stint in an asylum after World War II because of his involvement in the Manhatten Project. It makes one wonder how many regrets individuals carry that they never truly reveal.