Wednesday, November 04, 2009

My business just might get launched ....

As some of you know, I'm taking a class on Small Business. I've been thinking a lot and looking at options, and at this time, it looks like a good opportunity to start my own OT consulting business. It's something I've wanted to do, probably since my first year of my OT program. I didn't think I'd do it this soon in my career. But OT postings are few and far between, and I've come across some barriers in trying to get employment. I'm excited about having my own business - that I can do a variety of things that interest me and that I can have a few different projects / contracts going at the same time ... but also a little scared. Scared that, once I get it going, what will happen if I'm low on business for a while, or if for one reason or another, a contract gets dropped, or if I get sick or fall again. Life happens, afterall. Because, once I actually get going and am bringing in money that is greater than EI, I lose the benefit. Actually, apparently, as soon as they seem to think my intentions are to earn a living with a business, EI benefits are cut. Then I don't have something to fall back on.

I have a few possibilities. I have been approved to work with veterans, but the referrals are slow - and that's not news for you all. Last week I submitted a quote for another contract - a 3 month contract. This week, we've been working out the details. It looks like it will be a 5 hr a week contract with some flexibility of additional hours providing direct client work as well as being a resource to staff. On Friday, the plan is that I'm meeting with them to finalize things. I'll definitely need more than this contract to make ends meet in a month so I need to continue to explore options, but it's a start. And, if it all works out, it should be an interesting opportunity. Once it's for sure, I'll post more information. Right now, though, it's looking like it will come through. It was kind of neat - they approached me and asked me to submit a quote. Yay for networking. So, apparently I have a reputation. :D And some good references. :)

Unfortunately, I've also come down with the flu. The flu, as in, slight cough, runny nose, slightly higher than normal temperature but not a fever, tired, sneezing. Nothing serious - at least so far and hopefully the whole way through. I'm overall not actually feeling sick except for the annoying nose thing and the annoying cough. When I really noticed it, I actually thought I had some sort of allergic reaction - itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, dry throat. I was at class and the girl beside me was sure it was the dog hair on her clothes that was making me sneeze. My throat was sore on Monday already, but I attributed that to the dry air. To me, though, I often think of the flu as being more stomach related - nausea, vomiting, etc. I did have slight stomach like symptoms a couple days ago, but nothing significant. I didn't associate it with anything other than eating the wrong thing. I don't think I have H1N1. Who knows, though, I guess. The symptoms are the same as any other flu, particularly in mild cases. Hey, if it stays mild, I'm ok if it's H1N1 - at least I'll have had it. I wonder if some day, they'll find a way to do a titer test to determine whether people have enough antibodies against that virus like they do with chicken pox or hepatitis. For now, I'll take it easy. I won't set my alarm tomorrow and I'll sleep in. I probably won't go to class in the evening unless this is all over by tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll be back to normal by Friday for my meeting. Considering it's been 2, maybe 3 days already, it's a possibility. All that being said, I should get to bed and get a good sleep.

No comments: